Thursday, March 20, 2008

Death Took Too Long

Death took too long
to find her
small, gray, quiet
it came bit by bit
the guilt
came in torrents
Gray Kitty's not a proper name
but that was it for her
unassuming, purring
till near the end
Did I do right by you?


(Am I a writer of poetry? Not only no, but hell no. These are just some words that fell out of my head today in my sorrow over the death of one of my cats, the blind, the elderly, Gray Kitty. It was her time.)

Gray Kitty
The stray that chose us many years ago.
R.I.P.
March 20, 2008
Lay in the sunshine...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure you gave her a stable, peaceful home, as well as more respectable, dignified years than the ones she spent as a stray.

JoJo said...

Oh Claire, I'm so sorry for the loss of a second beloved animal in such a short period of time.

Claire said...

It's major suckage, but that's how it goes with pets. So we should be ok for a while. dogs: Crystal, 8yr
and Mia 4 months
cats: Jiggs, 9 yr and Tiger, 3 yr
I love all my pets and try hard to keep them healthy and safe.

kris said...

you're such a good pet momma! i'm so sorry:( i thought your poem was pretty...

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

A poem from the heart is always beautiful. Sorry for your loss.

val said...

Gray Kitty was a fine name. I grew up with a cat called Grey and one called Ginger, and they never minded one bit, as long as they were fed and loved. As yours obviously was.

Deadman said...

Did I do right by you?

Yes.

Jane said...

Oh Claire, I'm sorry. I have a stray that I'm taking care of now, her name...Little Grey

Axe said...

Oh, honey, Gray Kitty was blessed to have you!!

Jocelyn said...

Oh, sweet woman. I'm sorry. But I'm really glad you wrote down those words.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about Gray Kitty. It's amazing how much we can love pets... they often become a member of the family!

C said...

Oh, Claire, that brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry.

G said...

Those words are poetry, I don't care what you say. Goodbye to Gray Kitty, I just know you did right by her.

tsduff said...

I loved your poem. We had a "Big Kitty" and her story was similar to your Gray Kitty. It isn't easy when they go, but while we have them life is so much better.