Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Virginia is for Lovers...





















At least that's what the slogan says and my dear newlywed little sister would probably agree except, technically, they got married in Maryland. I was there eating, drinking and making merry for about four days. We had the ladies luncheon and manicure, the rehearsal dinner, the bachelorette limo party through Virginia wine country and finally, the deluxe wedding complete with open bar, appetizers and a full dinner including palette cleansing between courses (and I don't want to forget the yummy amaretto wedding cake) . Yikes, my ass must be the size of Utah. But who could tell? - it was neatly covered by my floor length pink matron of honor gown.

Virginia wine country: somewhere west of D.C.

















This is the grounds of the Strong Mansion
on Sugarloaf Mountain in Maryland:



Nieces as flower girls:


















Bridal party flowers:




Wedding Cake!




My sister married a great guy. He's a short red head (as is my sis) and he's an actual rocket scientist (sis is not a rocket scientist, but she's smart enough for government work)! A little dude with a giant throbbing brain. And he loves my sister and spared nothing to make her happy on their wedding day, so he's fan-flippin'-tastic in my book. Come to think of it, I was almost the tallest person in that wedding party with the only other tall person being my brother, who is also the bride's twin brother. He's an English professor, so he made a toast later involving the recital of a long, lovely romantic poem. I wish I could remember it but it flew out of my head in all the hubbub. Now, it's back to the salt mines for me.

14 comments:

C said...

How beautiful! And the flower girls - too cute. Is the one in front being shy? And the cake. Mmmmmm!

Did you wear heels? That always makes me self conscious, cuz I'm often the tallest woman in the room even without.

kris said...

congrats to the sis! and where's the pic of you in the pink dress??

Deadman said...

A little dude with a giant throbbing brain.

I love your way with words, Claire!

M

val said...

Congratulations to the happy couple.

G said...

Congratulations to all concerned! It sounds like a lovely wedding. So brains run in the family it seems. Now let's see you in the pink dress! :)

JoJo said...

Gorgeous scenery! So lush! I had no idea VA had a wine region.

Congratulations to you and your family.

Where are they going for their honeymoon?

Anonymous said...

mazal tov to you all... and where are the pics of you and the bride and I want a better look at the little bridesmaids dresses because from what I can see the look gorgeous and we haven't started looking for those yet and Rachel has four of them and Sunday we go big girl bridesmaid shopping except one will be in Singapore working and the other is about to drop her baby (probably tomorrow)... oh isn't getting married wonderful and wonderfully hard work... hmmmmm!!!!!

lotsa luv ann xxxxxx

Claire said...

candace- the flower girls were total hambones. I wore small heels.
kris- nowhere around here
mandingo- thanks man
val- thank you
g- I didn't mention one of my other brothers, the drunk with the missing tooth, tatoos and scraggly beard and yeah, he was there. Not sure how many brain cells he has left.
jojo- 2 glorious weeks in Hawaii, lucky DINKS!
Ann- I got off easy in the planning portion since I'm so far away. The girls' dresses were purchased on the cheap, cuz they are the daughters of the professor and he's not rolling in it. But they sure were cute anyway, proving that money doesn't buy everything. No one will ever see me in that dress!

Deadman said...

No one will ever see me in that dress!

Yes, better to see you out of it, methinks!

;o)>

Jacob said...

Not a rocket scientist, but smart enough for government work. I love that. So am I, by the way. On both scores.

Just read Candace's comment. And yeah, you can tell just by looking at the bottom of her foot. See how tall that foot is? That right there is where it all starts. One of the tallest feet I've ever seen. Her heel IS a heel.

robkroese said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. Sorry about the salt mines.

Axe said...

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!!

Did I mention WOW?
What a beautiful setting! And the flower girls looked beautiful too.
Its great that her hubby is such a nice guy, huh? There aren't many left of those.

Unknown said...

Congratulations. Gorgeous pictures - who knew there were winelands in Virginia? I only recently discovered that they make wine in Colorado!

"A little dude with a giant throbbing brain." Mmmm.

The Nemesing One said...

Virginia is one of the prettiest places on the planet. Way to hot and muggy for me, but pretty to look at from an air-conditioned car.