Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rodent Population = x - 1


... or what the womenfolk have to do when the menfolk decamp for Oregon.
... or "New Miserable Experience"*

Warrior Princess and I took the dogs out for one last potty break last night. We observed approximately 5 rats in various positions on my bird feeder which is on a straight metal pole.
I set a trap, such as the one to the left or up (or where ever blogger puts the damn picture!). I went to bed and dreamed very bad things about squished rodents in traps.

Next morning, sure enough there is a seemingly dead rat in the grips of the 'rat snapper'. As I move in for a closer look -it moved! Holy living nightmare, Batman!

(I don't like animal suffering, even among disgusting, disease-carrying rats -Duh)
I did what the menfolk normally take care of: I delivered the kill shot via pellet gun. Can we getta eewww, eeewwww!? I tossed the body over the fence into the empty lot. The ants will take care of recycling, part one.

And while WP and I were just busy exclaiming, "yeah! We're free!"...
It seems we miss the menfolk after all.
*Gin Blossoms, I love you.

14 comments:

Deadman said...

Shoot to thrill, baby!!!

Hey, man, sorry for my absence, I've been really, really busy...

Like going to the Gathering of the Vibes. And none of the Deadheads there even gave me a hard time for ogling tits and having short CONSERVATIVE -looking hair.

Fancy that...

:o)>

Claire said...

Deadman- I said, eewww, eewww not woot, woot- LMAO! Glad you had a good trip.

Axe said...

HAHAHA....okay, "eeeuuwwww"

I beat one to death in my kitchen with a broom a few months back. Looking into its twitching black little beady eyes as its life leaves its body.....

Talk about disturbing!

JoJo said...

Gee Axe I woulda thought that was right up your alley.

Claire - EW EW EW EW EW EW Are they being displaced from somewhere else, and that's why they are in your yard now?

Jocelyn said...

Can't. type.

Too. scared.

(but, okay, I LOVE that you used the pellet gun. Question, though: so there are all those other rats still out there. Do you, um, hose down the trap and reset it each night? Personally, I'm packing my bags, because I can no longer live in place where I've read a blog post about rats on a bird feeder).

Claire said...

axe- double yuck

jojo- they're in my yard eating bird seed, little fuckers.

jocelyn- daddy-o will be back on monday. Rat killing is his job. When he's out back smoking cigars, he'll probably shoot them. I haven't seen evidence of them since the 'trap incident'. I scared them off, lol (they'll be back).

val said...

Can't kill anything, but I do have a solution to the rat problem.

I have 7 cats. Bastard rats don't come ANYWHERE near my house!

G said...

Oooh scary stories before bedtime. I guess this may be why I just throw bread out to the birds. Or actually that's because I'm a procrastinator and never got a birdfeeder. But now I can blame it on this.

Bring the menfolk home quickly!

Jane said...

Rats...Oh God. I had a mouse in the house, while I was disgusted by it, it was cute. But rats..Ewwwww.

Claire said...

val -my cats have to live inside because if they go out they'll become coyote food :(

g -Hubby's back. FPM is doing the football thing in OR.

tess -I'm surprised your kitties didn't munch on the mouse!

Jane said...

Claire: My cat's like to play, chase, flip the poor mouse on it's head. But God forbid they should kill it!

bellygirl said...

oh dear, that is horrific. you're braver than i am, i would have waited for the "menfolk." lol!

Unknown said...

Rats. Who needs 'em? There's a reason why they're called vermin: you were practically doing the environment a favour by removing it. That trap does look vicious, though.

Jaesoreal said...

Drill baby drill (pellets into that rodent)! I changed the address of my blog so I can write in anonymity!