Friday, March 23, 2007

Too Cool!


I open my mailbox today and find the latest Scientific American with "The Dazzling Future of Plasmonics" on the cover. I'm not gonna lie, I mostly just look at the pictures in the articles about physics and maybe read the take home points if I feel very ambitious. I prefer to read about the genetics of alcoholism, the intelligence of ravens and the role of maternal serotonin on the fetal development. This was just too fun to pass up.
Here's the title and subtitle:

"A technology that squeezes electromagnetic waves into minuscule structures may yield a new generation of superfast computer chips and ultrasensitive molecular detectors

The Promise of PLASMONICS"

Later, in the blogosphere: I find Diesel as part of the new generation, delighting geeks everywhere, with his Picard transformation. Could he possibly know something about plasmonics that the rest of us are simply not privy too?? Hummmm.....?

11 comments:

Jane said...

Oh....It is Very Cool! Why do I have the feeling this will happen Long after I'm dead?!

Party on next generation!!

Malnurtured Snay said...

I wonder why they used a DS9 runabout instead of a Klingon bird of prey in that illustration ... ? Neato!

val said...

Silly - the Klingon Bird of Prey hasn't been invented yet!

JoJo said...

Huh? I confess, my brain shuts down like the beginning of the old TV show "Get Smart", when all the doors are sliding shut, when it comes to math and science.

fezzi said...

wow! but, the closest i get to this stuff is the reruns they're now showing locally of star treck;)

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Plasmonics? I'm with jojo on this one - 2 1/2 doctorates later and my check book is more confusion than I can unravel. That's why I gave birth to my younger son, who at 7 can already do higher math functions than I can. I am relying on him to steer me through the galactic scientific changes coming our way!

Jacob said...

I thought these were harmonicas made out of plastic until I read this post. All this time I had it wrong. Pays to research. Thanks.

Jocelyn said...

Plasmonics and Diesel. Interesting theory. It's all making so much more sense to me now...

robkroese said...

Hey Claire - I stopped by a couple days ago but apparently forgot to leave a comment. Thanks for the mention!

My question is -- If you were on the invisible spaceship, wouldn't it be hard to see anything?

G said...

Wasn't that a punk band in the 80's - Wendy O and the Plasmonics?

ann said...

you and Diesel crack me up... have you seen all the comments on his Picard haircut... I am almost wetting myself