Thursday, November 16, 2006

Science and Religon...

are not mutually exclusive. The following is a bit from the October issue of Scientific American. Every month Michael Shermer writes a column called the Skeptic. His article (Darwin on the Right) is summarized with six points:
1. Evolution fits well with good theology.
2. Creationism is bad theology. Calling God a watchmaker is belittling.
3. Evolution explains original sin and the Christian model of human nature.
4. Evolution explains family values.
5. Evolution accounts for specific Christian moral precepts.
6. Evolution explains conservative free-market economics.

Damn, I wish I'd written that. The entire article should be read for full appreciation. Doesn't he seem reasonable? There's your dose of common sense for the day. I do sincerely hope I have not offended anyone. This comes very close to my own philosphy as a scientifically trained person and a religous one as well. And to all my Jewish friends, I say you were the first, the most special people, the very foundation of all Christian religons, deserving of sincere respect.

3 comments:

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I have never understood why some christians feel that science and faith are incompatible. I am not much of a scientist due to limited ability, but what little I can understand simply reveals to me the awesome power and creativity of God.

ann said...

Kate, you took the words out of my mouth... what I know about science can be written on a postage stamp, but the science and faith do go hand in hand as reasons to believe.

have a lovely weekend Claire

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

JoJo said...

Excellent post!!! Seems we are on the same page religion-wise.