Sunday, December 10, 2006

Here's a Little Shout Out to Diesel

I have a book recommendation for Diesel. I noted that he is a fan of science fiction, so perhaps he has read this already, but oh well...

Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh (1994)

This is the first book of a series, so if you like the story it is fun to read more. It is set on the world of atevi. The author really nails the experience of being in a completely foreign culture. I was transported and captivated by this world and the hero, Bren Cameron, who must grapple with the natives who are very, very dangerous. The atevi are humanlike but larger and more powerful. Bren is the only human allowed visit their society and negotiate on behalf of the humans. If you haven't had the pleasure, Diesel, I highly recommend it.

5 comments:

ann said...

do you reckon he'll do it Claire... read all those books? What a challenge!

Claire said...

A book a week is difficult for even me and I read a lot!

robkroese said...

Claire - I'm on it. Thanks for the suggestion. I do enjoy science fiction, and haven't read much of it lately. I'll add it to my list soon.

I can read 52 books with both arms tied behind my back. I've been practicing turning the pages with my nose.

Claire said...

Cool. I'd even place your blog on my link list ... er, if I knew how to do such a thing. I'm behind the computer eight ball.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am an avid reader myself - I usually have three books going at the same time - but science fiction has never been my thing!