Wednesday, December 27, 2006

WTF


"What the f***?" were the first whispery words I heard the morning of Christmas Eve.
The first thing I heard was the downstairs shower. Five minutes later as I finished dressing, I heard boom! and crash!, crash! That could only mean one thing. Test Case was seizing in the shower.
With an accelerated heart pumping in my throat I raced downstairs. Hubby was already 'on the job'. We assumed our accustomed roles. There was no need for conversation. He held our son's head and shoulders and I threw a towel over him to preserve a bit of modesty. We waited.
It is like watching your kid die; only you know (or do you?) that he will revive. After a good minute that stretched for hours the convulsions ended and he began to breathe again in short gasping gulps for air. He was pale and blue lipped. His eyes skittered around, finally rested on each of us and he whispered,
"What the fuck?"


Ok people this is my therapy, I'm not trying for any boohooing sympathy stuff that undoubtedly is quite sincere. It took a another 15 minutes to get him into his bed. Test Case slept for the rest of the day. I woke him on and off to check for a concussion. He was ok except for a badly strained neck and a really bad headache. He couldn't go to work at his new job that day. Hubby drove over and explained the situation. Test Case needed a reboot which, unlike computers takes much, much longer. He went to work today. So far, so good. The rest of Christmas was super A-OK.
Epilepsy SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

robkroese said...

Wow, that will wake you up in the morning. I guess I need to once again remember to be thankful for my family's good health. My father in law has epilepsy, but almost never has seizures thanks to meds.

JoJo said...

Glad to hear that things are back on track!! Take care and best wishes for the New Year!

ann said...

okay... I get the no sympathy bit, but it sure does suck, for him for you for everyone....

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

Claire said...

val- well booze is a downer which can calm the stormy brain. Pot works better. Doctors don't usually recommend it though.
diesel- the meds mostly work for Test Case too, but in all the hub-bub he forgot the pills he set out for himslf the night before and the morning dose wasn't enough...ugh!
Thanks ann and jojo for your kindness. I do realize that it could be a whole lot worse for him. I am thankful for meds.

JoJo said...

If pot works for him, is there a medical marijuana dispensery near where you live? If you could find a dr. to prescribe it for him, maybe you could get it there?

Or have I been living on the liberal west coast for too long?

ann said...

Claire popping by to wish you and yours a very Happy New Year and may you all be blessed with the very best in 2007

lotsa luv ann xxxxx

Claire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How frightening! I imagine that no matter how many times you have been through it, your heart still flies into your mouth. Thank God for meds - and for mothers who know what to do! Blessings to you and yours to a healthy and happy New Year free of seizures and difficult things!

Jane said...

You're right. Epilepsy sucks....

Best wishes for you and your family in this New Year.

fezzi said...

epilepsy does suck. my husband fell off a slide as a child and had seizures for ten years. then was in a car wreck, hit the windshield and hasn't had one since then. but his mom has told me stories about his seizures, and then him sleeping them off all day like that. glad the rest of your goliday was good:)

Logophile said...

Claire~ my mom developed epilepsy about 6 years ago. It's been tough at times. With meds she doesn't have grand mals, so that is a relief but its still...its hard.

I get that you are venting and not looking for sympathy, etc. I just wanted you toknow that this vent resonants for several reasons with me.