Monday, January 08, 2007

The Road

Over my vacation I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I cannot stop thinking about this book. (Diesel- I am NOT suggesting that you read this book)

On the face of it this book seems too dark and depressing (oh that's why I feel melancholy- dumbass alert!) But it is really a story about love/faith, good/evil and maintaining a meager civilization in a completely whacked out world.

It is the story of a father and son a few years after a major apocalyptic event. Cormac McCarthy is a minimalist who only tells you what you need to know without leaving major questions unanswered. This is a survival story; the struggle to survive in a hyper-harsh world.

"He sat by a gray window in the gray light in an adandoned house in the late afternoon and read old newspapers while the boy slept. The curious news. The quaint concerns. At eight the primrose closes. He watched the boy sleeping. Can you do it? When the time comes? Can you?"

The father is portrayed as having been educated and his son is an obvious sensitive soul, yet both are very tough.

"He rinsed the empty tin with water and gave it to the child to drink and that was that. I should have been more careful he said.
The boy didnt answer.
You have to talk to me.
Okay.
You wanted to know what the bad guys looked like. Now you know. It may happen again. My job is to take care of you. I was appointed by God. I will kill anyone who touches you. Do you understand?
Yes.
He sat there cowled in the blanket. After a while he looked up. Are we still the good guys? he said.
Yes. We're still the good guys."


Above all, this story, though awful at times is about the power of love.

7 comments:

fezzi said...

wow, sounds very.....i don't know, i might just have to check it out a little more. thanx:)

JoJo said...

My hubby just read this book too. It's not really my bag so I haven't read it, but I did refer him to your blog, so maybe he'll leave a comment.

JoJo said...

Hi again - Brian (hubby) read your blog and asked me to post for him:

"Please post the following for me as her blog doesn't allow anonyomous
posts:

I did read it and liked it although the ending could have answered some
more questions, like what was "the light" the boy was carrying.
What was it he could or couldn't do when the time came? Leave his
Father? Kill him?
etc "

Claire said...

Welcome Brian-no longer anonymous. Thank you for your comment. These are my humble opinions regarding your questions:
The 'light' was the boy's innate goodness.
It was the father who agonized over what he would have to do if they were caught by the 'bad guys'. If you'll recall the mother killed herself and felt it would have been the right thing to do to take their son with her. The father wanted to continue to live. Still, I think the father thought if they got caught it would be better to die by his own hand than be eaten by canibals. Well I can sorta see his point. That's some grim shit.

robkroese said...

Sounds intriguing. I might pick it up if I wasn't booked for the next 26 weeks (get it, 'booked'?). I'm already behind on my list....

Logophile said...

Oooo, I am not much of a sci fi fan, but that sounds like it might be worthwhile.
Good writing is good writing regardless of genre.

a kings cross muse said...

I read this one too. And the shit couldn't get any grimmer. The boys innate goodness was the one thing that shone through this dark and beautiful book.