Friday, November 09, 2007

Lightning Strikes FPM Twice

My poor hard working FootballPlayingMan: at the end of summer 'o6 as he was preparing to go away to college for the first time, the dive shop he worked for all summer went out of business. He never got paid. I'm sure the fucktard bankruptcy lawyers got their cut. Added insult: About a month later the former dive shop owner had the nerve to call my hubby and see if he wanted to go on a group dive excursion that he was arranging. Ah, how about NO, fuck no! That's what I said. Hubby politely declined. He felt sorry for the guy cuz he had to sell his house, blah, blah...
FPM has received approximately 2,000 mailings from the bankruptcy court assuring him that there are no assets so, tough shit.

Fast forward to this summer. He works like a dog all summer for Atlas Marketing (Provo, Utah) installing Dish satellite receivers. He has to crawl through attics, fish wires under houses, climb on roofs and deal with the general public Finally, gets his last paycheck at the end of last month. After depositing it into his account it bounces back "reported lost or stolen". Hey that was $528 any hard working college student could use. Especially since he EARNED it. Added insult: His bank charged him $7 for the bounced check and repeated phone calls to his former boss have gone unanswered because he is on an Atlas cruise! Argh! Grrr! I have discovered they are going out of business and many employees' paychecks are bouncing. So he doesn't have to feel like the Lone Ranger, but that is not much comfort.

I think he will work for hubby's company as an intern next summer. Clean and safe office work with no chance of bankruptcy.

17 comments:

Deadman said...

I'm frankly sick of people thinking that bankruptcy is an acceptable means of skating on debt.

Let those bastards take a second out on their homes to pay their employees. Motherfucker, reading this pisses me off...

robkroese said...

Oh man, that would piss me off. It's hard enough to teach a young person the value of hard work without some a**hole stiffing him on his wages. I think I would have turned to a life of crime if that had happened to me.

val said...

I can hardly believe it! What a shitty thing to happen - twice!

I wish those responsible all the worst luck in the world.

JoJo said...

Fuck that! It's just bullshit. That's a hard thing for your son to have gone through....twice.

kris said...

that's horrible. poor guy! things like taht a so hard to go thru, there is no justice in it at all. nothing to fall back on and say "well, at least"..i can't believe it happended 2x!

Jocelyn said...

What a complete pisser. If I were a company owner, I'd do EVERYTHING to pay my employees their due, even years later.

Suckage.

Anonymous said...

Ouch, That really sucks! Way to jade someone about the work world as if it doesn't suck enough you have to worry about not getting paid!

Maybe this bad experience will spur him into becoming a successful entrepreneur latter on in life.

-P

Anonymous said...

once is bad enough...

I think it would put most youngsters off working at all...

absolutely disgraceful

now you have to convince him there are some honest employers out there

I hope he hadn't already spent it

Claire said...

mark -it completely fries my last nerve to think about this.

diesel -I feel sorry for those guys he tackled in football games after that news!

val -thank you, me too.

jojo -couldn't have said it better myself.

kris -me either!

jocelyn -yeah major suckage. I would think that paying the employees would be the priority.

proxima -thankfully, he's still a good kid, so the lesson from the universe could indeed be to treat your employees right.

ann -he hadn't spent it yet cuz it was part of his savings to get through the whole school year. I'm doing a little side tutoring, so I'll give him those checks to make up for it. I don't believe he is jaded yet and he is a very hard worker by nature anyway. Maybe I am more pissed than him, you know, it brings out the mother bear in me! Grrrr...

Claire said...

btw -he is working for the college, in the anatomy lab as a TA, so he'll get a little money from that.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

That sucks. When I ran a small business, I may not have had my invoices paid for up to three months - as a temp recritment agency, I paid peoples wages to work in these various offices. If they liquidated, it crippled me. They then could set up under another name the week later, and bleed another agency dry.. and it was LEGAL for them to do this.

Your poor kid, he must feel so disallusioned.

Claire said...

sws -I'll know more about how he's feeling when he comes home for Thanksgiving. He's a typical stoic guy and doesn't say much over the phone. I hate it when it is legal to steal from people. That's real injustice.

Axe said...

You know, that shit is just another version of corruption in my book!

That's really shitty...twice over. And none of its even his fault!

I sympathise, hon, 'cause I know what that's like.

C said...

That suck an incredible amount! OMG! X-(

Jane said...

Oh no...I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

If it's of any consolation, I'm one of the many employees who got screwed out of two paychecks totaling about $800. I had to borrow money from my parents to pay my rent and haven't eaten anything but cereal and top ramen for the past month.

Just found a job though!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.