Sunday, February 04, 2007

Cure For the Postictal Blues?

Yeah it happened again. I was alone with him this time. Once again the bathroom was the scene. Funny how you find the strength to roll a 200+ lb. guy around onto his tummy. Anyway, I found found these things helpful:
chocolate chip cookies, LOCI and RHCP





Now the drug he is on has been maxed out. If he has another seizure in the next month or so, his doc will add on another med. Luckily no serious head bonking occurred, only a very sore left shoulder and hip.
He told me an interesting story about the state of his mind when he is 'gone'. He says he fights to get back, for his 'team'. He knows people are all around him urging him to get up, but they can't help him. They are frantic for him to get up before the 'other dude' who is across the river and is bad somehow. He fights hard because he doesn't want to disappoint his team. He doesn't know who these people are. They are close- bent over and kneeling down next to him, but they cannot touch him. He can see the 'other' struggling and he knows he has to be first.

Gave me the chills.

10 comments:

ann said...

(((Claire)))

It's so tough I know, but thank G-d he has you.

I must say it does creep me out too when they tell you what's happening in their heads. To everyone else they look *normal* and *well* but they don't have a clue, it's nothing to do with how they look, it's what's going on in their minds that's so frightening.

Hope he and you have a better week

lotsa luv ann xxxx

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I echo Ann -"Thank God he has you!" You are both in my prayers.

JoJo said...

It must be terribly frightening to have no control over your mind synapses.

Hang in there and as always, am sending good thoughts your way.
XOXO
JoJo

Anonymous said...

(((Claire))))

I am so sorry about these medical issues. I hope both of you can keep coping.

Rose

fezzi said...

aw, i'm so sorry, i'm sure we have no idea how hard this has to be on you. you're in my prayers:)

Claire said...

It sure is nice knowing there are people out in the world that I've never actually met who are so wonderful with their kind thoughts and prayers. Thank you!
He is having a better week, I am having the stomach flu. eewwww! I know there are worse things than throwing up, but gosh darn, I really hate it :(

G said...

Wow, that's terribly difficult for you both. Good luck to you both and good health. Here's to a quick recovery from your stomach bug.

Anonymous said...

Well, here's hoping they can find one that can control the seizures.

I'd get chills too, hon.

ann said...

claire... sorry you're not well either ~ seems half of blogdom has been blighted one way or the other

wish you better sweetheart

lotsa luv ann xxxx

robkroese said...

Wow, his story about what's going on in his head is fascinating and terrifying. Do you think this is just his subconscious trying to make sense of what is happening, like a sort of dream state? This makes it more understandable that people would associate epilepsy with demon possession. It also reminds me of the hallucinations people experience during sleep paralysis.