Friday, July 20, 2007

You Can't Stop the Beat: Hairspray


I was completely charmed by this movie today. My guests, Warrior Princess and her BFF Maria also thoroughly enjoyed all the singing and dancing (and of course they were already big Zac Efron fans).
I never saw the original movie or the stage musical, so I didn't even know the plot. WP and I saw the preview when we went to see Nancy Drew (a good movie to see with a young daughter) with my mom in VA. She turned to me in the theatre and said, "We have to see that!". She is definitely my movie-musical buddy because there is not a chance in hell of convincing Hubby, Test Case or FPM to see any movie where there is singing involved.
The cast was wonderful. Nikki Blonsky plays Tracy the overweight main character, Tracy whose personality is so infectious, you cannot help but root for her. Christopher Walken usually gives me the creeps but he was sweet in his role as Tracy's dad and principle cheerleader. John Travolta plays Tracy's mom which sounds weird but it really works. Elijah Kelley plays Seaweed, Tracy's detentional hall dance buddy. He shows her some of his moves. He shows Tracy's BFF Penny (Amanda Bynes) his million megawatt smile and romance blooms. Naturally Tracy falls for Link (Zac Efron). And what's not to like about Queen Latifah? The bad girl mother-daughter duo of Michelle Pfeiffer and Brittany Snow don't fail to make you hate them.
I just thought it was highly entertaining. Yes, some of the 60's dance moves make people look like they are having seizures (and I would know, hehe), but still, in all there was nothing in this movie that would prevent you from enjoying it with your mom or likewise your kids.
That is my short but sweet movie recommendation for your weekend viewing pleasure.

17 comments:

Jane said...

I think I'm going to have to check this film out. Question...How does it measure up to 'Grease'? Or is that a fair question. Grease was pure entertainment, I understand Hairspray raises some social issues.

Claire said...

It handles the social issues with humor. This was also pure entertainment!

kris said...

i can't wait to see it! thanx for this:)

JoJo said...

This movie is getting rave reviews! I would have preferred to see Harvey Fierstein reprise his stage role as Edna, but the movie looks like a lot of fun with great dancing. It's good to see that John Travolta still has the moves...Sat. Night Fever & Grease came out nearly 30 years ago!

val said...

I just don't get to the cinema that much - usually make an exception for George Clooney, though Ocean's 13 doesn't appeal. Of course, on the rare occasions that Vincent's films are released over here, I go to see them (which means once ever since I became a fan, and that was the dastardly Break Up!

Anonymous said...

We really want to see this movie, too! And good to know about Nancy Drew, although I think my 13 year old would just roll her eyes if I suggested going.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I'll put it on my list!

Anonymous said...

I'm not one much for musical's, but I am tempted to make an exception for this one and see it anyways. I did like "Grease" and this one seems to run in a simiiar vein.

-P

G said...

This does look like fun! And Tali and I are planning on Nancy Drew. Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

Didn't plan on seeing it, but you make a good sell. Have a good week:)

l'oreal said...

ive heard of that film and it looked really good. im glad you enjoyed it, i'll have to check it out!

Eileen said...

I can't wait to see it.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

It's one I'm familiar with, but I don't think I've seen - might give it a try now!

robkroese said...

I just can't stomach musicals. Except the Wizard of Oz. Cuz it's got flying monkeys.

Anonymous said...

Morning Claire. :)

Rose

xo

Claire said...

Well musicals aren't for everyone (especially guy-types), but I luv 'em and this was a good one.

Jacob said...

Two of the best dancers around---Travolta and Walken. I love to watch the latter dance. He's smooth. And at his age, he can really cut a rug.

Can't wait to see this movie, Claire. Now more than ever, thanks to your review.